We have provided freedom for our patients since 1922. Our years of professional experience, craftsmanship, and technology are what enable us to provide the benefit of mobility and independence to our patients. With the experience, craftsmanship, and technology of POWELL we can say we have “Tried. Tested. Perfected.” all of our products over the years.
And we will continue in the future.
- 1922: Marvin F. Pollard made his first brace in the basement of his home in the historical district of Churchill (Richmond, VA).
- 1931. Marvin F. Pollard he went into Surgical Appliance Business (Orthotics and Prosthetics) full time, which was the first Orthotics and Prosthetics Company in Central Virginia. A large part of his business was arch supports, ankle supports, and special shoes. He made Orthotic braces for Children’s Hospital of Richmond.
- 1932: Thomas Powell, Sr. starting working at the age of 16 for Marvin F. Powell.
- 1950’s: Thomas Powell, Sr. purchased Marvin F. Pollard, Inc. and renamed the company to Thomas G. Powell, Inc.
- Post WWII: Thomas G. Powell, Inc. began work with the Veterans Administration, focusing on the amputee population and manufacturing prosthetic limbs for war vets. Joe Powell headed up the prosthetics side of company.
- 1950’s: Moved to 414 West Broad St. due to demolition of property to bring Interstate 95 to Richmond, VA were they remained for over 50 years treated brace patients and amputees. 1990: Thomas Powell, Jr. a second generation Powell had taken over Thomas G. Powell, Inc.
- 1993: Became an AOPA member (American Orthotics Prosthetics Association)
- 1996: In addition to our own work, our own prosthetic practitioner Joe Sullivan long time below knee amputee as well as patient of Thomas G. Powell, Inc., began prototype testing prosthetic componentry after becoming a member of the US Paralympic Standing Volleyball team.
- 1998: Thomas G. Powell, Inc. becomes the first and only privately owned company to own the complete Tracer CAD/CAM system in Richmond and surrounding area.
- 2004: Thomas G. Powell, Inc. simplified the company name to Powell Orthotics & Prosthetics, and moved to a modern facility, the current location at 2034 Dabney Road.
- 2006: Joe Sullivan CP, Michael Monteiro CP, and Mitch Powell CO, formed a partnership gaining sole ownership of Powell Orthotics & Prosthetics.
- 2006: Created a Mentoring program of former patients, and became a member of the Amputee Coalition of America.
- 2009: First privately owned O&P facility in Richmond to fit state of the art Otto Bock Helix prosthetic Hip joint.
- 2010: Became National Commission on Orthotics and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE) Residency Program
- 2010: First to offer the Gomez Scoliosis bracing system to the area. No body cast required.
- 2011: Powell Orthotics and Prosthetics is one of the founding members of the Virginia Association of Orthotics and Prosthetics (VAOP), an organization that helps review new technology and new legislation that affects the O&P industry.
- 2011: Fit the first female above knee triathlete in Richmond to make a Paralympic qualifier.
- 2012: First O&P facility on the east coast to fit the Otto Bock Genium® computerized Prosthetic Knee system.
- 2012: Powell Orthotics and Prosthetics is one of the few in Central Virginia to fit specialized Orthotic stance control knee systems.
- 2014: Became a member of the Association of Children’s Prosthetic-Orthotic Clinics (ACPOC).
- 2014: Simplified company name from Powell Orthotics and Prosthetics to POWELL
- 2014: Renovations to Waiting Room and Multi-purpose room.